Data Insights Analyst
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Data Insights Analyst who really wants to make a difference for all New Zealanders and be at the forefront of evidence-based and intelligence-led decision making in a continually evolving and increasingly high profile kaupapa.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner is Aotearoa New Zealand’s privacy regulator – an Independent Crown Entity established to promote and protect individual privacy. The organisation is passionate about encouraging and sustaining a culture in Aotearoa where people’s personal information is protected and respected.
We are looking for a motivated and intellectually curious Data and Insights Analyst to join this supportive and highly collaborative organisation that has a strong focus on diversity and inclusion and is committed to upholding the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi. You will be working within the Compliance and Enforcement Team and the Strategy and Insights function, and be part of an evolving team that has a real ability to chart its own direction, and be thought leaders in the use of analytics to inform its decision making and the organisational strategy and priorities.
In this role you will gain exposure to the rapidly growing privacy field. The work is high profile and always current (such as the recent announcement on privacy practices in the rental accommodation sector).
You will use your analytical, SQL and Power BI skills to extract and analyse data, generate meaningful insights, and create data visualisations such as dashboards and other reports that help us gain insight into current and emerging trends that impact on privacy to help us have the biggest impact on privacy outcomes.
This is an excellent opportunity to take the next step in your career and take on a stimulating role, where you will be making a difference consistently learning and developing your skill set.
The role will involve:
- Analysing, intrepreting and identifying insights from the breach notifications
- Providing advice and support to agencies to mitigate the harm from data breaches
- Reviewing reports submitted by agencies for compliance with the Privacy Act
- Collating data and analysing for emerging trends and patterns to generate meaningful system level insights and presenting intelligence reporting to the Office’s leadership
- Supporting the Strategy and Insights function with regular gathering and reporting of operational insights from across the office and external data relevant to privacy
- Presenting the output of analysis undertaken to others in the organisation and leveraging the insights of the wider team
- Identifying emerging issues and proactively addressing them
- Creating data visualisations such as dashboards, graphs, charts etc.
- Recording data breach notifications in the organisation’s document management system
The sucessful candidate requires:
- 2+ years of experience in data analysis
- A curious, intellectual mind and excellent analytical skills
- Strong background in SQL and BI tools such as Power BI
- Ability to focus on the details without losing sight of the big picture
- Fantastic verbal and written communication skills, with a real ability to communciate effecitvely wtih a wide range of audiences
- A keen interest in privacy issues
- An understanding of the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and how to apply them to your work
- A collaborative, team player approach
- An agile and outcomes focus, with a willingness to reprioritise and manage a range of tasks
For a confidential discussion about this role or to obtain the position description, please contact Priti Saboo on +64 471 5874 or if this role sounds like you click ‘Apply for this job’, and send your CV and Covering Letter today.
Role closes Monday 1 March at 9:00am.